What I am reading today!

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Exercising the brain, snoozing and other homeschooling thoughts


Today I had a wonderful time doing math. Math isn't always easy while you are homeschooling. Occasionally my teachers (Mrs. Wright, mom, and dad), think that I am part Einstein. You should look at my math (see picture!). A genuis could do it in 10 seconds flat, but I am nowhere near that. I am learning about factors and multiples with large numbers. They take a lot of time and get confusing and take a whole lot of exercising of my brain. It's like a marathon going on in my brain. "What is the lowest multiple of 12,10,and 6?" "What are the factors of this or that?" It's like the biggest workout for my brain! Will I even have a brain left after all of this workout? By the end of the year will the blood have disintegrated my brain and I'll be left with a brain the size of a pea? Or will I have an enormous brain, like big bulging muscles, from all of this working out? I'll go with option number 2. I will have to remind myself that I am choosing this option. I'm hoping that it will make a difference when I don't feel like trying.

Now about snoozing. It wasn't me who was snoozing. I have been up since the crack of dawn (not really), but I have been working hard. My dog, on the other hand, decided last night to stay up and party in her kennel. Therefore, she has been snoozing all morning. Sleep, sleep, sleep with an occasional ear push up is all she does. Later, she may perk up and expect us to take her to the dog park. No way, Jose. Why does she get to sleep in when she wants to and I don't? Don't tell me that it's because she is a dog and I am a person. What's the point of having a dog if they don't do anything? I guess she is cute and cuddly occassionaly. But that's not the point. She loves to bask in the sun and sleep while I am slaving away, basking in my misery. Are dogs heartless? Of course they aren't, but sometimes it seems like it. Just like people. Dogs are sweet animals when they want to be. How are they supposed to know when it is the right time? When they were pups, perhaps they did too many math problems and their brain disintegrated to the size of a pea. That's my excuse for all of dogkind. But no more excuses. I want her to get up and at least patrol the house, maybe even do a little of my math for me. Dogs would get more treats if they did math or homework for their owners. Don't they know this?

It was great hearing from so many of my old blogging friends. I've missed you dearly. Why would someone blog without any followers? Thank you for being one of my followers? I'll try to post another recipe soon. My mom has been thinking about all things pumpkin, so that is a hint about my next recipe. Say hello to the pumpkin! I personally hate pumpkin seeds but that's another story. I'll save that one for Halloween.

May the Red Plague rid us all of math!
Gracie

PS I twisted a curse from the Wednesday Wars by Gary D. Schmidt for my closing.

PSS If you haven't read that book, you must! It will become a family favorite.

3 comments:

  1. OK Gracie, I'm taking your advice: I just put "The Wednesday Wars" on hold so I can pick it up next time I go to the library.

    I can really hear your "voice" in your writing!

    Mrs. Van Vranken

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gracie, Love to see that a young girl can be creative and humorous in her writing!! My son Ethan also is home schooled and he is not a lover of Math either!! We also have a pooch and she pretty much lays at our feet while we are working on whatever subject it may be at the time. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gracie,
    Our family loves your blog! The Wednesday Wars is a favorite in our house, too. Did you know there is a new book out featuring Doug Swieteck as the main character? Natalie and I loved that one also.
    We miss your family lots!
    Mrs. Sytsma

    ReplyDelete