What I am reading today!

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Sunday, January 10, 2010

Books not movies!

Today I read a post from Michael that warned me that books are better than movies. He is right. I found out last year when I saw the movie "The tale of Despereaux". My dad had read this story to me first, than I read it for myself and then we went to see the movie. It went down hill. I mean, "soup day" where did they get that? The queen loved soup, she ate it everyday, not just on soup day. There is NO soup day. Why did they do that? Then there was a "tin man" who was not even in the book. The movie was also not very scary. It should have been. My sister didn't want to go because the book scared her, but the movie wasn't scary at all! Michael is right about books being better than movies! They almost always are. Except, I really enjoyed Prince Caspian the movie, a little more than the book. My dad read the book to me. Maybe I will like it more when I read the book myself. I do think the Bible is the best book of all. Usually the movies about the Bible are not as great.

I finished "Betsy-Tacy" in one day. I think it was "fabulouso" because it was the beginning of "friendship for a lifetime". That's the kind of book that some girls like, and I am one of them. You should know that this story took place before automobiles were common. My mom is trying to find more of the "Betsy'Tacy" books. If you happen to have any would you mind letting me borrow them? I will try to give them back when I finish.

Today I am back to the myths. I am starting the "Sirens and Sea Monsters" by Mary Pope Osbourne. It is book three of a series of 6 books. I have already read "The One Eyed Monster" and "The Land of the Dead". It was published by Disney. Why Disney for goodness sake? Disney's books aren't usually all that great, they are usually about princesses, frogs, and have poor writing. By the way, I saw "The Princess and the Frog" yesterday. You don't want to see it if you don't like Voodoo. It was weird!

Now, back to my book!

5 comments:

  1. Gracie...can I just say, you are my new hero?
    You are so money and you don't even know it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael,
    If I am "so money" please do not spend me! Did you agree on "no soup day"? I mean really, there was NO SOUP DAY!
    Sincerely,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will not spend you Gracie. You are a keeper.
    I agree, why add stuff that isn't in the book if it doesn't improve things?!
    When I am President King you will have script approval. If hollywood wants to make a movie out of a good kids book, they will have to run it by you first, so we won't have any more of this "Soup Day" nonsense. Does that sound like a deal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gracie - this is a great idea and a great blog so far! I think I might try something similar! Do you want more suggestions or do you have enough? As a former children's librarian I have lots of good ideas! Blessings,
    Mirm Mohler

    ReplyDelete
  5. By the way - I agree about the weird voodoo. Girls to the rescue by Bruce Lasky is a great series of stories with girls as the heroines. There are several with princesses and knights, etc.

    ReplyDelete