What I am reading today!

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Friday, January 29, 2010

Willy Wonka Day!









First, I want to tell you that I finished "From The Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler". The book was really good. I liked it because the kids ran away to a museum. As I got to read about their adventures, I got to learn about art. I don't know a lot about art, so it was a good time to read and learn. This is one of my new favorite books. My friend, Hannah said that it was her favorite book in 4th grade, and I am excited to read it again next year.

Today was Willy Wonka Day at school. I dressed up as Miss Violet Beauregard and my sister was an Oompa Loompa from the book. I won't tell you about the descriptions of these characters because I want you to read it and not watch the movie please. I am begging you, read the book. My favorite parts of this funny book are: Veruca in the nut room, when Charlie gets the golden ticket, the Chocolate Room, and the ending which includes the Great Glass-----you need to research this part on your own. I don't want to give away anything.

Now, I want to tell you about this "candyish" day. Can you see the pictures of all my friends? Sprinkled throughout the fun day, was candy (CANDY...Can-dy!) . I felt like Charlie at the factory, because I could eat candy all day long. I had nerds, gummy sweet tarts, a big sweet tart, a chocolate bar, fun dip dust, and last but not least a jaw breaker. I also had some hot chocolate later on. It was a hyper day! After all that candy, I felt wonderful, even though my mom probably would not have been happy about me eating all that. I also want to tell you quickly that even though I had a lot of sugar, I got a 96 on my Latin quiz and a 100 on my spelling test, which all makes me very proud. It was a wonderful day!

Now I am reading, well I am almost done, with the library book I got yesterday. It is "James and the Giant Peach" also by Roald Dahl. My teacher suggested that I might like it and my friend Madison told me that I would be able to find it in our school library. So, I started last night and today I am on chapter 28 out of 39 chapters. So, as soon as I finish this post and help my mama put away the laundry, I am going to READ. (Try to finish the book if I nobody bothers me!) I hope that you are enjoying the books that you are reading too. Have a stupendous weekend! ****All of this was dictated with a British Accent today!

8 comments:

  1. Hi Gracie,

    I am glad to be mentioned on your blog!You look great for Willy Wonka day! i was an oompa loompa!

    Have fun!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Gracie I love the pictures. Sounds like both you and Faith-Marie had quite a day! Now I have to read the book to find out what a oompa loompa is. Keep reading.How many books have you read so far?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if you are going to read the sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It is titled "Charlie and the great Glass Elevator". I really think you would like it. So what is your favorite candy? Mine is Junior Mints, but don't get me started...Also, your mom probably doesn't want you to eat all that candy, but I KNOW for a fact she has eaten her fair share!
    Also, did you know that chewing gum while you are testing can actually increase your scores? Emily and Clayton's elementary school teachers gave out sugarless gum before tests and I think it worked! Just letting you know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you liked From the mixed up files.... It's one of my favorite books of all time. I can't believe y'all got candy all day. Fun!

    Keep up the good work on your book challenge. I'm so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracie,
    I have been lax in getting back to you, I am very sorry but I have been busy building a time machine...ok that's not true but wouldn't that be an awesome excuse for not doing anything?
    "Hey, I was working on a time machine, leave me alone!"
    Anyway, on to the Council of Calcedon...
    I found their conclusion to be interesting. I like the idea of duality. The idea that 2 things can be in conflict and yet both are true...it's a cool idea right?
    I'll give you an example. Some people say, "The unexamined life is not worth living" by that they mean it is not worthy of your time to go around not learning as much as you can about things. That's true right? Educating yourself is one of the most important things you can do.
    BUT people also say, "ignorance is bliss" by that they mean sometimes you are better off not knowing something. For example what if a good friend of yours made a joke about you behind your back, just to fit in with the other kids, but she didn't really mean it, and she felt really bad about it, and she vows to herself she would never do it again....wouldn't it be better if you didn't know about it?
    So you see duality, 2 opposite ideas true at the same time, like Jesus being both man and God simultaneously...a very complex and interesting idea. Thank you for pointing me in the direction of that,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr. Michael,

    I am glad you see that Jesus was both God and man. Did you get what I said about the roller coaster? You trust a roller coaster, right? You get on it. My point is that I know that Jesus is God and man (that's the councils conclusion). You trust that the roller coaster is good even though just a regular man made it. Jesus is a regular man but/and better, He is God too. If you trust a regular man who made a regular roller coaster, why don't you trust Jesus who made the sun, the moon, the stars, and everything else around including me and you. He is both God and man just like you said.

    Thanks for writing me. What did you think of my idea.

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Gracie, You have had some interesting cmments about your reading and your beliefs. I am so proud of the answers you have given. So, what are you reading now? Mom has not gotten backto me on "The children of Green Knowe" so remind her O.K. Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gracie,

    Did I hear that you finished another book tonight? Wow! Does that make 14? I am interested to hear about Alanna. Was it a good story, and was Alanna worthy of being a knight? More importantly, is she worthy of your emulation (big word for modeling your life after hers)? Let's talk about it when you get the chance.

    Love,
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete