What I am reading today!

  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Books that are too hard


Good morning or good afternoon to some. Last week I started my second book from Lemony Snicket. It was a busy week with my grandma visiting , homework, Latin, and a sleep over and I didn't have time to really sink into the book. I discovered that the book was more than I can take right now. I feel stressed when I want to get into a book and time is running out and it's a little bit too hard. So, I want to tell you what I think I should do with a book that's a little too hard. Could you give me your ideas too.

If the book is too hard, I set it off for later. I want to read it but when it's too hard I can't pay attention to the story. Then I don't keep reading and I am confused with it all. So, a "Series of Unfortunate Events" will have to wait until I am nine years old (which is in April) and then I will give it another go.

A special friend sent me a package of books. One of them was "From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler". It looks like there are kids going into a hotel on the front cover. I chose this one today because it looks interesting and it has a gold seal on it which I think means it is an awarded book. I am going to get started with the book, after I go rock climbing with my dad. I want to advertise Stone Moves, it is a rock-climbing gym. My sister is on the rock climbing team and it is a great place to climb. If you live in Houston, you can find it located in a phone book. Go visit it, it's great and you might find us there.

Did you notice that my blog now has music! Mrs. Maines helped my mom get it on. My mom picked all of the songs that I love. Can you tell that I love musicals? I also love acting. My mom couldn't resist putting the song "Bag of Hammers". It reminds me of my mom. I "soothe" my mom "like a lick of ice cream", at least sometimes.

I am wondering, what books are you reading by the way? So go, read, enjoy the world.

Gracie

11 comments:

  1. Hi Gracie, I am sorry you decided to read Lemony Snicket at another time but I'm sure you will get to it. Keep Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That happens to me too and when the books are hard you lose interest in them.

    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Gracie, I'm just trying to see if I can send you another message. Let me know how I can help with your challenge besides praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gracie,
    The Snicket books are not only hard they get a bit monotonous, a word here which means they always have the same bad news about the Baudelaires and VFD. When I have a hard time reading a book I try one more time and then I put it aside for awhile (or forever). I have a friend who is a 4th grade teacher and she was reading "Unfortunate Events" to her students when she decided to stop reading it because she didn't like it. It was funny. She told her students that they could finish it on their own if they wanted to. Another thing that has helped me is reading it out loud (or reading along to a book on tape). It kind of makes you doubly involved.
    Sometimes you have to read a hard or a boring book for school. That is different, and for those kind of boooks I would suggest setting a goal and rewarding yourself with a fun book or other fun activity when you accomplish the goal. Just take a little bit at a time!
    Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have several more recommendations for you and I would be happy to loan our copies to you, if you want. My kids liked the following series:
    Magic School Bus Chapter books (Eva Moore), Magic tree house(Mary P. Osborne), Time Warp Trio series (Jon Scieszka), 26 Fairmont Ave Series, Brown Ears(Lawhead), Riverbank Series(Lawhead), Cobblestreet Cousins (Rylant), Black Lagoon Series (Thaler).

    Right now I am rereading The Wind in the Willows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Gracie, looks like Mirm has some good suggestions for you. Keep Reading. I'll look at the library when I'm downtown tomorrow. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mirm,
    My dad read us, "The Wind and the Willows". Did you get to the part where they have a fight? I think that part is funny. I wrote down your suggestions in my journal. Thank you for sending them. I already read the Magic Tree House series.
    Thanks again!
    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gracie,

    Fun music you have added to your blog. It's catchy.

    I hope, as you read all these books, that you are getting the rest you need to be ready for the day. No sleeping in class!

    I am looking forward to hearing about Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.

    Love, Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gracie I hope you are enjoying From the Mixed up Files Of Mrs.Basil E. Frankweiler! I loved it when I read it in 4th grade

    keep reading!
    Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness - I read Mixed-Up Files many years ago!! I was probably about your age, so I won't say how many years ago that was. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Gracie, It is a rainy day in California, so a good day to read a book.I'm not sure what I want to get into right now. Papa is reading a book by Harold Bell Wright. It'smuch to old for you but someday you may want to read something by him. Keep reading and have a great Saturday!

    ReplyDelete